Sunday, October 5, 2014

Thursday evening I packed every last sweater that I had in my closet. I knew it would be cold and blustery with plenty of snowfall. There was already five feet on the ground at Middlebury, despite the roads being clear and passable. I hoped the roads on the way to Vermont would be the same.

I decided to take two days to make the trip since I knew I would be staying for a week. I booked a Bed & Breakfast; and decided to stop just northwest of New York. Perhaps I could add to my sweater collection and find some appropriate attire for Vermont.

On the Creek Bed & Breakfast would be my home for the next five days. The trip would be nine days in total with four days of driving and five days to visit with Liam. As mentioned previously, he had taken up skiing and snowboarding. Why the snowboarding, I don't know, and it is incredibly hard on the feet and ankles; where skiing is much less so. We did drive to Killington and stayed at the lodge for two days there. I decided not to try my hand at skiing and preferably stayed in the lodge where I could enjoy the spa and hot chocolate by a fireplace.

Our room had a fireplace as well, so I stayed cozy for those two days. The main topic of discussion for the weekend was Liam's major. Preferring science, he decided that he was going to study genetics and food science. I had done some research on the internet while he conquered the slopes and found that he might enjoy taking some additional classes at Vermont Tech. The had excellent classes to take from craft distillery to craft beer making. I knew it would spark his interest.

At Middlebury, the food in the dining hall was surprisingly fit to eat. While we ate lunch there, we preferred restaurants in the evening. Even with his allowance; where Liam was already spending to much of it on craft beer...as I could tell from his trash can, the cost of going to nice restaurants sans Mom's American Express was out of the question.

We did have a great five days together. Despite the fact that I did not ski at Liam's request, he was thrilled to have my visit. I promised to return in the spring, as both he and Isabella would be home for the holidays. Another summer at Casa Amor, and I would be seventy. Seeing how grown-up and mature Liam was brought back thoughts of Brady that I had not had in a long time.

I was happy for Liam's choice of majors, and wondered how he would use it for the greater good.

No comments:

Post a Comment