Tuesday, October 7, 2014

It was May now, and I was due for a visit to Baltimore. Brad and I had been taking on a regular basis and I wanted him to meet my daughter, Samantha. I also wanted to meet Ryan from Charlotte; as per our conversations, Samantha and he were forming quite the bond. I knew also that if I went to Baltimore that Brad would come and meet us there.

It was also only a few weeks before I would make the journey once again to Casa Amor. I would be there this summer for the last time in my sixties, as I was due to turn seventy. Samantha was due to turn thirty-three, and Liam twenty-nine. He had graduated from Middlebury and was now taking classes as a graduate student at the University of Minnesota in the biostatistics department.

I traveled to Baltimore on a Thursday. I would be there for the weekend. Brad agreed to meet us for dinner on Friday nite.

We met at Sullivan's Steakhouse in the Inner Harbor area of Baltimore close to the aquarium, other attractions and the financial district. I was not aware that Brad was such a fan of steak, as he even knew the gastronomy of the Roman Empire and when meats like steak were introduced to the Romans. I guess the didn't just lay around naked on chaise lounges and eat grapes after all!

The beauty of our meal that evening is that they had a PRIX FIXE option at just $42 that allowed us three courses that for sure made our mouths water before we started on the bread. Brad was no stranger to wine, but not quite at Brady's level. I would never let him know; and over time, he would grow into quite the connoisseur anyway. Since steak was definitely on the menu, Samantha and I started and stayed with Cabernet Sauvignons. First there was Frog's Leap, then Rombauer and for dinner, Shafer. A flight that no one with a taste of Napa would turn down.

We must have dined for four hours. The conversation was lite and refreshing. Ryan was interested in Brad's writing career and that alone was a ninety minute conversation piece. Samantha was happy to be happy, and even happier that I was happy.

Brad was a gentleman, and retreated to his hotel alone without even so much as an invitation. Tomorrow would be a much different story; however. 

No comments:

Post a Comment