Monday, September 29, 2014

The first evening, we ate at The Mara. If there was ever an African-influenced restaurant, this was it. The beams exposed flowed upward with huge leaves above to represent the large African trees that one might sit under on a hot day in the great expanse. Lighting was dim and the tables were made of an African Rosewood; planed beautifully, but still with a rugged exterior.

The African-inspired food was phenomenal. It was unlike anything I had ever eaten. While they had some more traditional options for those without the refined palates of my children, the options with the "influence of the jungle" abounded. Basmati rice, yogurt sauces, raisins, Couscous...you name it, if it had an African influence, it was there on the menu.

We were tired from traveling and after dinner, we took a bottle of Pinotage to our room and the children had drinks from the African juice bar. Isabella was old enough to drink at this point, but did not partake. She and Liam; however, always asked to smell the wine. To my surprise, they each had a good nose.

As I went to sleep that nite, I wondered how the children felt about Paul and me. Did they want me to be connected to another man? In a relationship? Married? I knew not how they felt; as they would never say, so I had to assume that all was ok.

The next day we would do Epcot and we would be returning to Epcot for the end-of-year celebration. I was "flat out" excited to see what the folks at Disney would come up with for New Year's Eve. I had been to Epcot many times, and Disney was one of Brady's favourite places. He, too, believed it was a place of magic and even cried the day that Walt Disney died.

The rooms at Animal Kingdom Lodge were absolutely perfect. As I peered over my balcony the next morning, I watched the animals play and eat and prepare themselves for another beautiful day. Even the sun arising over the preserve seemed to be as if I was in Africa, and far away from Florida in the United States. After two cups of coffee and some conversation across the balcony with the kids, it was time to head to Epcot.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment