Sunday, August 17, 2014



I took a run on the beach the next morning and when I returned Brady was still sleeping. Since it was nearly 6:00 AM, I checked his pulse, but he was still with us. He had decided to bring his typewriter along for the week, as sitting in front of the beach might give him inspiration. At this point, he was ¾ of the way finished on the first copy of each book. I suggested that he pick one to actually finish over the time spent at Sea Manor, since he had received an advance and the editor and agent would soon be wanting a copy. He decided to finish his memoir, as he thought it best represented his writing style; and since it was more fact based, it would be easier on his noodle while on vacation.
                 
Brady typed away at the “machine” every morning after making me breakfast and applying me with a cheese, vegetable and fruit plate. He wrote from about 6:00 AM – 9:00 AM each morning as it was relaxing for him. He thought about work throughout the day, as that is just the way he is wired, but I would whisk him away to one of the eight bedrooms when I could see the steam rolling from his ears.
                
Eight days and seven nights went too fast. I longed to return to Isabella and Liam now that I has rejuvenated myself. I had had a spa day, plenty of fine food to eat, way too much in the libations department; however, never overindulging. Brady also had his fair share of the local brews and his go-to favorites, but he also never seemed more than a little bit tipsy.
               
Liam and Isabella hugged us around the neck on our return home. Kisses and hugs were thrown around and the next vacation, that would have to happen soon, would be to see Brady's parents. It had been quite a while, and while it is sad to say, we had never spent a formal holiday with his parents since our wedding day.
                
In October of that year, we had our first dusting. The snow was beautiful, as the flakes took on new shapes that I had never seen. Each one was different, and while it was not too cold, I bundled up the kids in their snow suits and sent them out in the yard to make snow angels and such. How children can play outside for hours and never get cold, I don’t know, but my children were no different. After a few hours outside, they returned inside and I sat them down in front of the wood burning fireplace with some hot chocolate and turned on the Looney Tunes. I have never allowed the children to watch any of the modern cartoons, as they are just not the same. Barney and Friends just doesn’t get. A purple dinosaur, really?
                 
Brady was happy to be back to work and was offered a promotion after only six months. He was now in his 18th month with Mutual of Omaha and was managing an office in Greenville, South Carolina, in addition to having his own production requirements. At this time, he has eclipsed the $25 Million dollar mark in his book of business and had time in his day for referrals only. He had stopped doing seminars, as he originally did at the beginning, and was focusing his business on courting large 401(K) plans between new referred clients. At this level, he could sleep like Rip Van Winkle for a year and he would still bring home $250,000. He liked and appreciated the fact that Mutual of Omaha had given him the extra responsibility, even though it took him away from the children two nights a week. On days that he had to go out of town, I would write him letters of encouragement to get him thru.


Brady,

I realize that you have a long week ahead of you and then next week you will travel to Omaha, Nebraska, for additional training. Remember that home is where the heart is. Not that you need reminding, but Isabella will soon be eight! It is amazing how time flies, as I will soon be forty-five, you thirty-seven and Liam six.

As you are well aware, I feel sure, in just ten short years, your daughter will graduate and we will have to help her select a college. As I think about the days and nights that I spent at Vanderbilt, I feel sure that it would be a great place to start. I certainly do not want to see her go North, with the exception of Julliard, as her piano skills are coming along in a rewarding and positive direction.
At the same time, you will learn to be patient as Liam will be learning to drive. I am not at all excited about this prospect; as he is like you, and can be a little scatter-brained at times. Intelligent, yes, but too much going on his HIS noodle at one time. He is certainly his father’s son, and Isabella her Daddy’s girl.

With Enduring Love,

Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment