Thursday, December 4, 2014

Gallivanting around downtown was fun that afternoon. Brad had an air of genuine calm about him in his "old age" that made him fun to be around. For the most part, he had not a care in the world. For many years, I was the same way except for my bought with severe depression after Brady's death. And sure, one worries about their children in different situations from time to time, but mostly, I was "happy-go-lucky" myself. I believe a lot of the stress-free living was due to the fact that we were both in positions financially that we did not have to worry about the basics and the additionally ancillary. New tires on the car or even a blown engine for that matter would be a small thing to have happen.

We had lunch at a bistro and continued to stroll around downtown San Diego in the Gaslight district until 4:00 PM. By then, I was beginning to bite my fingernails over the pressure of the meeting I was about to have at dinner with Silvio. It had nothing to do with intimidation! Silvio was a wonderful and kind man; now a friend, and I knew that he would say that he would consider our offer even if he had no interest in selling and simply and kindly tell us no later. It was simply that I wanted so badly to own Casa Amor.

I watched the clock for nearly an hour; sipping on a glass of wine, between five and six. At promptly six, Brad and I got into the Suburban and headed for La Jolla. We made it to Osterica at 6:25 PM. Silvio had pulled in a few minutes later, but early nonetheless. We ordered a Brunello di Montalcino and began lite conversation.

Silvio started by asking us about our summer. With the exception of my father's death, it was an excellent summer. And truthfully; knowing that my father had now been reunited with my mother was solace enough to make it a good summer. Novel sales were also a highlight and the extra month at Casa Amor was grand...as it had become my oasis that I could always find respite in.

Silvio talked about his summer in Tuscany. It had been more hot than usual, as the temperature had been nearly five degrees hotter on average by the day than in previous summers for the past fifty years. Global warming? Who knew! Irrespective of that fact, his olive groves liked the additional sunlight and his crop was easily sold at a higher price than usual to become extra-virgin olive oil.







No comments:

Post a Comment