Sunday, October 5, 2014

Brad's house was a nicely remodeled Victorian. I had made a reservation at the Frostburg Hampton Inn where i would stay for the evening. He had made reservations at Giseppe's, a local Italian restaurant.

Dinner was good, but the conversation better. He talked about his travels through Europe and more pointedly Italy, as he studied Italian and Italian Literature with a focus on the Roman Empire time period.  He was definitely self-educated, and I could appreciate his intellect. Over Tiramisu and coffee, the conversation turned to me. He had figured that I had nearly ten years on him and with that came a certain level of knowledge and sophistication.

He was impressed that I was writing and I promised to let him have a look at my book; however, much was still to be finished, but he would be a great start to a good edit. We talked a good bit about my children and his daughter as well. Middlebury college, he explained, was the perfect place for Liam and Savannah. He had named his daughter after the city where he had started and finished his first novel. It took him twelve months of writing and editing, and he had both started and finished the novel at Tybee Island, just off the coast of Savannah.

He spent many a summer there since, and Savannah wouldn't have it any other way. She was a beach girl at heart, after all. I told him about my summer love, Casa Amor, and he promised to make it out to La Jolla and San Diego to see the place in a few months. I felt he would make good on his promise.

His latest novel was about a lawyer turned criminal. He was using wire taps to get into circles of criminals as they exchanged information to launder money. With his expertise of this activity and the law and banking, he was transferring funds to his own account. It was an interesting concept and I allowed Brad to come to the Hampton Inn for a nite cap. There was a lounge in the hotel, so it was an easy transition from the restaurant.

We chatted over a B&B and a Sidecar until 1:00 AM. I don't know what possessed me to do so, but I called Isabella as soon as he left. She had to know about Brad, and the enthusiasm in my heart for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment