Tuesday, July 29, 2014

We started off the morning slow by traversing a few of the less daunting hills. I was no expert to start with and was not going to be an expert by the end of the week either, but I made a point to give it my best and let the chips fall where they may. After a few of the less difficult slopes, we moved up to an intermediate slope. After a few runs, I felt like I was doing a better job of keeping my balance and staying on top of my skis through turns. On this slope, however, there were moguls. For those of you unfamiliar with this term, they are simply small to large hills of snow within the larger scope of the slope itself. One is supposed to be able to navigate these as easily as the slope itself by working your way through them in a snake-like or s-type fashion. This was a challenge for me, so I did the best I could. I found myself on my backside on a few occasions and felt like the intermediate slopes may get the better of me throughout the duration of the week. But, if by some stroke of luck I could conquer them, it would be quite a feat.
                
Brady was good about giving me tips. He would go ahead of me in the pattern that I might take as if I was planning my own route down the slope. He would go one hundred or on some occasions up to three hundred yards ahead and I would follow. He was a good teacher and paid specific attention to my balance, ability, and the overall growth in my learning curve on top of a pair of skis.
                
Around noon, he suggested that we go into the lodge for a bite to eat and a hot chocolate. Having spent three hours in the cold, I was beginning to feel the sting of the winter weather against my face. As we sat down, we talked about our morning on the slopes. We had conquered the beginner slopes and I felt like I was getting a handle on the intermediate hills. As I wrapped my hands around the hot chocolate, I could feel the warmth radiate to other parts of my body. While I was never cold to the point of needing serious shelter in a hurry, it was nice to get back to room temperature.
                
We both shared the sentiment that a vacation in the middle of tax season was just what we needed. Even more so, I needed to feel the comfort of someone that I admired, felt I could trust, and additionally felt like a relationship could blossom into an unending love. I adored Brady, and I believe it radiated from my face. I was beginning without a doubt to fall in love again. We sat in the lodge for over an hour and we decided to brave the winter weather for a short afternoon session. Brady suggested at lunch that we cut our day a bit short so as to have some time alone at the chalet before dinner.
                
After a few more cracks at the intermediate slopes, I was ready for the hot tub. I suggested to Brady that we find a wine shop and take a bottle back with us to the chalet to enjoy in the hot tub prior to dinner. He had no reservations, so we packed up our gear in the car and headed toward town to a local wine shop. I wanted something light so we agreed to go with a Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc from the Marlborough Valley of New Zealand. With grapefruit notes and the essence of stony soils evident, it was just what we needed…something crisp and light on the palate. Off we went to the chalet, as a bathing suit was required for the hot tub.  Within minutes, we were sitting in one hundred and four degree water that was bubbling with enthusiasm. As we relaxed, we talked about what we should do for dinner. With that, Brady had another suggestion.


                Jack and Rona made it back to the chalet around 5:30 PM. They too were tired and sore, so they decided to soak with us for a few minutes. We decided to go to dinner around 7:00 PM. As Jack and Brady talked about their day on the slopes, Rona and I raved about the multiple nose-dives that we had taken. Within minutes, the conversation turned to food. Brady explained to Jack and Rona that he had spent several hours prior to making the journey to Vermont scoping out the local restaurant scene. Both Jack and Brady were hungry for something filling, see we decided to go out for steak.
                
Around 7:30 PM, we arrived at The Wobbly Barn. True to its name, this barn had likely been erected in the early 1900's. The name was painted in large red letters on the exterior with a black border. As we entered the place, the locals could easily tell that we were from somewhere else. They wore jeans with holes in them and flannel shirts; some with suspenders. We could be spotted a mile away as tourists. Nonetheless, we entered and were offered a table for four. The waitress was pleasant and spoke with a Northern accent. She could immediately tell that we were from South, and that bothered none of us. We were there to enjoy our evening.
                
We had come for steaks and that is exactly what we ordered. The men had rib eyes and we women had prime rib. To round out our dinner in style, we ordered an expensive Cabernet Sauvignon, which I was surprised that the place offered one. Our conversation was light, but enjoyable. Not knowing what else to talk about, the men talked about their day on the slopes and then it turned to work. Why is it that men have to talk about work? Rona and I kept our conversation to our day on the slopes and what we might do with the rest of our time in Vermont. Undoubtedly, we would spend some time on the slopes, but we wanted to explore the town some and possibly find a spa…always one of my favorite activities.
                
As dinner went on, we found the need to order another bottle of wine. We all passed on dessert and considered wine both our dessert and cordial. After about two hours, we decided that the locals had probably seen enough of us. It was time to go back to the chalet and rest. As we left the restaurant, the conditions outside were not favorable. The winds were high, and the snow was nearly blinding as we crept down the road toward our rented home for the week. We did manage to make it without consequence and it was time to unwind before bed.
                
Jack and Brady continued to talk about work as Rona and I rolled our eyes, but they seemed to be getting along like pals from college who hadn’t seen each other in a few years. Whatever made them feel comfortable, I guess? Rona had gone to the kitchen to make us some hot chocolate while Jack and Brady were working on getting the fireplace going. We stayed up rather late that night. We had only a few days left on our vacation and I was dreading leaving Brady and going back to work. This vacation had been so relaxing.
                
Morning came, and as usual, I was the first one out of bed. This bothered me not in the least as I had come to enjoy my quiet time in the morning. It was almost like being at home, except in a few minutes, Brady would wake up and come down and greet me. That morning, he did so and surprised me by giving me a kiss. I guess he felt comfortable in our relationship to start the day with that. I feel sure that I had a bit of a surprised look on my face after he had leaned in and then pulled away, but I also feel sure that it was a surprised look that was also accompanied by a smile. I could feel a progression in that kiss that morning. I just knew in my heart that we were moving in a positive direction.
                
Brady suggested that we go shopping that morning. He offered to take me to breakfast somewhere downtown and then visit the local shops to see what we might find. Since I am not one to turn down a day of shopping, I readily accepted. We started with breakfast at Sugar and Spice. In addition to being a restaurant, this shack also was a place where you could see Vermont Maple Syrup being boiled and made. Since we were in Vermont, I felt the need to stray away from Eggs Benedict in favor of the local maple syrup. So I ordered waffles and tea.
                
Shortly after breakfast, we found ourselves downtown in a small shopping district. While the most popular shops in the square were for skiing equipment, the district was peppered with shops by local artisans and patrons. There were stores where you could buy art, candles, clothes, stained and blown glass and even cheese. When Brady walked into Fire On the Mountain Glass, I knew he was up to something. The shop keeper greeted him with a friendly hello that suggested he had been there previously. I would find out later that he had indeed. He knew what he was there for. Knowing my love of flowers, he walked over to a blown glass vase and said to the shop keeper that we would be taking this piece.
                
I was enamored at the thought, as I could immediately tell that he had picked the piece out especially for me. It was white with swirls of green and blue which started at the base and continued to the top which had a flowered edge itself. I was beautiful, and I knew not what to say. He continued as he presented it to me by saying that it was a gift to a new beginning. He stated that he wanted our relationship to be official and exclusive, and that this gift would be a promise and a reminder that he would keep it filled with fresh flowers. His words nearly pierced my heart. At that moment, there was an explosion of emotions that ran through me. I was truly ready to begin a new relationship, and his words and my inward feelings to them had sealed the deal. I was in fact, in love.
                
Glowing like a white Christmas light, we left Fire On the Mountain and proceeded to duck in and out of stores one by one. I could not have been happier at that moment, as I had not felt close to anyone in this manner for quite some time. I could feel a spring in my step as we walked up and down the street. At around lunch time, we traveled back to the chalet for a quick sandwich and then off to the slopes. We had come to ski with Jack and Rona, and that was what we should do. We met them on the mountain around 1:00 PM. Rona and I went off on our own so the men could try and break their arms and legs on the advanced and expert slopes. We were not at all inclined to attempt such things, and considered them nonsense; but boys will be boys.


We met back at the chalet around 5:00 P.M. We had made plans earlier to stay in and cook dinner, but Jack and Brady suggested that we go out. Since it was our last evening in Vermont, Rona and I had no objections. Peppino’s Ristorante Italiano was the place that we would dine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment